Thursday, April 21, 2011

Uhuru says sorry over foul language


NAIROBI, Kenya April 20, 2011 – Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta has now publicly apologised to Kenyans for unsavoury remarks he made at various political forums before he went to The Hague.

The Finance Minister said he acted out of provocation following a sustained personal attack by Prime Minister Raila Odinga and that is why he had to respond.

“I had a situation which I had to deal and a situation which I felt a particular individual had a lot to do with… mtu anakuita hii, mtu anakuita hii (somebody calls you this, somebody calls you that) you know even if it were you, it reaches a point you say you have to respond,” he told professionals from Luo Nyanza at a Nairobi hotel.

“Otherwise it will look like what the man is saying is true.  So I will say that for those who felt I hurt them, forgive me.”

“Those who know me really know that I am not prone to that kind of politics, but things sometimes and reach a level you feel they have become too hard,” he said.

The Gatundu South legislator announced that he would no longer engage in such politics and will instead focus his energies on the country’s development.

He said he was not worried about the war crime charges he is facing at the International Criminal Court in The Hague, because he has  competent lawyers handling the matter.

“Definitely my hope and prayer is that where we are now we have the issue (case) we have those people in The Netherlands they will do their business because those are lawyers,” he said.

Mr Kenyatta is among six prominent Kenyans and a journalist accused of planning or financing the post election violence which broke out in the country soon after the 2007 disputed Presidential elections.

Some 1,500 people were killed during the worst violence in the country which also displaced more than half a million others from their homes.

The six made an initial appearance at the ICC earlier this month when the charges facing them which include murder, forcible transfer of persons and rape were formally read to them.

The other suspects include Head of the Civil Service Ambassador Francis Muthaura, former Police Commissioner Mohammed Hussein Ali and Suspended Higher Education Minister William Ruto.
Others are Tinderet MP Henry Kosgey and Radio Presenter Joshua arap Sang.

During the Wednesday meeting with Luo Nyanza Professionals, Mr Kenyatta assured them that he was ready and willing to work with all Kenyans irrespective of where they come from.

“I am a national leader and my development agenda has no boundaries, I will work with all Kenyans including those from Luo Nyanza. I am even ready and prepared to travel to Nyanza to do development projects,” he said.

The professionals who met him said were are also willing to support him on his 2012 presidential bid “because we are tired of divisive politics of one man.”

Mr Onyango Oloo who led the group of professionals to the meeting with the Finance Minister, said Luo Nyanza was open to all leaders who want to tour, contrary to public perception that it is a preserve of leaders from the ODM Party of Prime Minister Raila Odinga.
Follow the author on https://twitter.com/momanyibernard

Source: http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/Kenyanews/Uhuru-says-sorry-over-foul-language.html#ixzz1K5MaZErQ

No comments:

Post a Comment